BELATRON High-Efficiency Charging Systems for Traction Batteries
For more than three decades, the name BELATRON has stood for advanced and future-oriented charging technology.
BELATRON high-efficiency charging systems operate with a controlled charging characteristic so that under and over charging is prevented independent of supply voltage variations.
These devices can be used to charge (E) PzS, (E) PzB and AGM batteries. The internal memory of the charger stores all relevant charging characteristics.
The high frequency switching technology of the power unit allows installation of the BELATRON high-efficiency charging systems in compact enclosures.
Energy efficiency and CO2 emissions
The subject of energy efficiency encompasses both ecological and economic considerations. Compared with conventional chargers, BELATRON high-efficiency charging systems reduce the amount of electrical energy consumed during the charging process by 25 %. This leads to reduced energy costs and lower CO2 emissions.
When charging a 48 V – 500 Ah traction battery using a BELATRON high-efficiency charging system over 240 days a year (single-shift operation), the annual saving on electrical energy is approx. 1900 kWh compared with a conventional charger.
When generating the electrical energy required for charging the battery, 0.514 kg of CO2 are released per kilowatt hour. Every kilowatt hour saved reduces the CO2 emissions and therefore contributes to climate protection.
As a result of the energy saved, the CO2 emissions are reduced by 980 kg, which is comparable with the CO2 emissions of a diesel-engined car (135 g CO2/km) travelling a distance of 7259 km. This distance would be equivalent to a car journey to a place of work 16 km away on 230 days a year (return journey 32 km).
Energy Efficiency Calculator
Sinusoidal current consumption and excellent power factor:
- Reduction of required mains power and therefore investment and installation costs
- Reduction of peak current values and no increase in the size of the reactive power compensator
Low ripple charging current:
- Minimises temperature rise during charging
- Increases traction battery life
- Reduces service costs (top-up intervals) for battery maintenance
BELATRON high-efficiency charging systems comply with the EMC limits for domestic and industrial areas:
- BELATRON high-efficiency charging systems can not only be used in industrial areas (as with many competitors´ units) but also in business, domestic and commercial areas
Charge state traffic lights:
- The battery charge state can be easily determined from a distance thanks to large coloured indicator lights (charge state traffic lights) (from housing size WT60). In smaller units, LEDs provide continuous indication of the current charging state.
Particular importance has been placed on the new ventilation concept in the development of the new housing. Air enters and exits horizontally via the rear mounted heat sink (from a unit capacity of 2 kW).
Electronic components are generally encapsulated and located away from the main air flow in order to prevent damage by corrosion and/or contamination.